Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Things We Have Missed

Sao Paulo pleasant traffic!


Like Patrícia wrote on the previous post, a year ago we arrived in Canada! Yeah, time flies... Of course we miss a whole bunch of people like our parents, our brothers, our first niece, our friends, our dogs (yes, they are like human in my opinion)… Classic, eh! And believe it or not, we miss our in-laws too!

But besides the people we miss, there are some “things” that we miss. It may sound weird, but I miss a real rain. Yes, I miss exactly what you have just read: a “real rain”. Come on, Nanaimo’s daily rain is not a real rain. Where are the thunders? And what about the lightning? I really miss those things. People from Nanaimo may not know, but, even though, pouring rains are scary, they produce one of the best melodies for you to sleep. It is true: a pouring rain at night has a great somniferous effect! But I have to acknowledge that a pouring rain in the rush hour is not nice. Especially when you live in Sao Paulo… In January and February it rains hard almost every day down there around 6pm. The problem is that this is the time for everybody to take off their jobs and go home, so: traffic is a mess. It was common for me to leave the bus and walk some kilometres to get home because cars and buses were simply stuck due to the flooded streets or because of some fallen trees in the middle of the way. Well, definitely I do not miss pouring rains in the rush hour! 

Back to the things we miss. I know that is obvious, but we miss our beaches with sand, warm temperatures, and warm water!!! Canadians can say there are sand beaches here and somewhat warm temperatures in some places in the summer. But, if a Canadian tells me that there is a beach with warm water, I will not believe! So, when Patrícia and I have our first vacations here we will fly down to the US or to Central America to relax and dive in warm waters. 

Besides the thunders, lightning, pouring rains, beaches with warm waters, there are other things that we have not seen here and that we do not miss at all, such as: air pollution, messy traffic, social inequality, cars drivers that do not respect pedestrian crossing the streets, and… cockroaches. I think Canada also has cockroaches. I run a quick research and found this
. So: if Canada’s Government is concerned about the cockroaches maybe they are here. But we have never seen them in Nanaimo, what is good for us!

Well, that is all for today! Have a good week and see you soon!   


5 comments:

  1. We have cockroaches in Canada, usually in "dirty" places....should be careful, plus we can get different "foreign" breeds due to importing of goods. Mainly we have issues with mice/rats etc especially in provinces like NS where it is so cold.

    And since 1999 I have refused, REFUSED, to swim in the "ocean" since leaving the Caymans. Like you I miss the warm luke warm bathtub water of the Caribbean.

    Nice post you 2. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patricia and Renato.

    Thanks again for another great read! If you are seeking Canadian "nice" beaches and warm water, I suggest you head inland to the Okanagan Lakes area. The weather in the summer is in the high 30's (celsius) and the water is not as cold as the lovely Pacific Ocean. If you like wine, you can also do some great wine tours.

    Try it out... Penticton, Kelowna, Summerland. Perhaps you can even check them out on your way to Alberta!

    Cheers, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys, thank you again for your comments and tips!!

    @Shane: thanks for letting us know about the cockroaches in Canada! Hopefully I will never meet them up :-)
    @ Tina: thank you. Those sound like good places to go. I've heard about Penticton and I've just taken a look on some pictures in the internet and it seems a beautiful place. We must consider that as an awesome destination!

    All the best!

    Renato

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Renato&Patricia, i went to see my friend Simona and her family some years ago, i like Nanaimo very much, i met a lot of italian people too, unfortunately i lost all the contacts, Lucrezia Mancini used to work at the University, she has italian roots but she was born in Canada. My name is Giuliana. I agreed with you life in Nanaimo is very quiet, people very nice, just going for a walk with my friend's dog i talked to so many people, i helped my friend's mum selling homemade cakes and pickles and dolls in the open market down town and in the countryside, it is a kind of market where people sell anything/everything don't need anymore (i can't remember the name..)Well i had such a lovely experience of life and not just an holiday , but i understand you missing your own Country.I spent my Xmas holidays around Brasil 2 years ago, so i know what you mean. CIAO be happy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciao Giuliana! Grazie for your comment! You are right, Nanaimo is amazing and we are missing Nanaimo already (we are going to Calgary in August)... Ciao!!

    ReplyDelete