Monday, July 25, 2011

Similarities & Differences between Canada & United States

Crossed Flag Pins USA-Canada

It has been a while that I want to write a post about the similarities and differences between Canada and the United States. Before arriving here, I used to think that Canada and USA were pretty similar, mainly because of the British heritage and the proximity between the two countries. 

At least for me, when I figured out that celebrities like James Cameron, Bryan Adams, Avril Lavigne, Ryan Reynolds, Jim Carrey are Canadians, I always thought: Oh my God! Really? I thought s/he was American.

I listed some differences that I noticed since I am here. One: the government policy for immigration is considerable different. It is much easier to immigrate to Canada than to the US. It is possible to see, even in a small city like Nanaimo, an expressive number of immigrants who live here legally, paying their taxes and working hard to boost the economy of the country.

Another big difference is Canada´s connection to the British monarchy. USA did not keep the Queen and the connection to the monarchy and Commonwealth.

Besides, it is impossible to write about Canada and USA and do not mention the health care. The majority of the Canadians are proud of their health care system. Even Justin Bieber (yes... Justin Bieber, I cannot believe that I am quoting him) already expressed his thought about it. In an interview to Rolling Stone magazine, Bieber weighed in on the US health care system. He mentioned: “You guys are evil. Canada's the best country in the world. We go to the doctor and we don't need to worry about paying him, but here, your whole life, you're broke because of medical bills.”

Everybody knows that both nations predominantly speak English, but if you ask a Canadian to say words like ABOUT or HOUSE , it is easy to notice a different accent. It is funny for us... We have some professors that are sooooooooo Canadians when they say those words. And: pay attention! Here, we do not write harbor, Nanaimo is the harbour city! There is not bad behavior... The right way is bad behaviuor...

One difference more: if you are speaking with someone that you do not know if it is a American or a Canadian, just start to count how many times this person says the words: sorry and thanks! If he or she says those words too much, certainly, they are legitimate Canadians.

To finish this post, of course I need to mention that Canadians play hockey better than Americans do. I am so sorry for my American friends, but since Canada beat United States to seal ice hockey gold in Vancouver Winter Games, I can write that! I have a Canadian friend that told me once: “there are two things that Canadians do better than the rest of the world: play hockey and complain about the weather”.

I am sure that Americans (even the US population who lives along the border) do not complain about the weather like Canadians. Oh my God! They talk about the weather during all seasons! Now it is summer time, so they are happy! In the summer, every time you are in the elevator, your neighbour will look at you and say: “Nice day, eh?” By the way, this "eh" is really Canadian. In USA, probably you are going to hear: “Nice day, huh?!” Anyway, if the day is nice they are happy and do not complain!

Hope you have enjoyed the reading! See you!

46 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. As a Canadian, it is interesting to read about my own culture through the lens of new Canadians and/or visitors. Your comments made me giggle. THANKS for the insights and laughs. Have a wonderful day!
    Cheers, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3==================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================D

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the helpful information. It was very well needed. Actually the only reliable source that I have found. So I was just really jubilant to find this source and I decided to share.
      Thanks!

      Delete
    3. there really isnt a huge difference in the way we speak. we don't say Aboot we say about. Fuck your stupid steroetypes.

      Delete
    4. there really isnt a huge difference in the way we speak. we don't say Aboot we say about. Fuck your stupid steroetypes.

      Delete
  2. One big difference that I noticed when travelling internationally is that every single Canadian I encountered along the way had a Canadian flag sewn onto their backpack, while not one single American did(that I met anyways). I think it is because Canadians don't like to be mistaken for Americans, which regularly happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canada is better the US sucks. It's a done deal we all know it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're both pretty awesome.

      Delete
    2. How Can you say that the US sucks when Canada needs the US because the US is a valuable trade partner!

      Delete
    3. Even as a major trade partner, it doesn't mean we rely on the U.S.

      Delete
    4. Canada is pretty much better in a lot of ways. I mean their economy is crashing like ours. The disadvantage is its always cold there and amusement parks and other things like that are limited. Which wouldnt be so bad. I really enjoy the outdoors. Im a Wiscosonite.

      Delete
    5. I'm English and Bieber's reasoning that Canada is the best country in the world because of its healthcare system is rather dumb. Does he honestly think that Canada is only country in the world with free and universal healthcare? He's very wrong. It's modelled on even more successful systems in Europe. He needs to find other reasons to make a claim to it being the best country in the world.

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. why can't we say both are awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Canada is so cool that Americans just don't know what to do about it. We are so cool that we don't have to pay for healthcare, our social security is actually secure, and while you people are busy arguing about this, I'm going to go outside (Where there is snow), hop on my polar bear, go feed my sasquatch, and then maybe come back to my igloo and play some hockey with my friends. Fun night, eh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free health care isn't the best you know. I once got food poisoning from the "medicine" the doctor gave me. In the Us, it didn't get sick!

      Delete
    2. But the Us is still WAYYYYYY Better

      Delete
    3. I'm Canadian, that's not what happens. the southern part of Canada: Ontario, Quebec, Alberta etc. is much like the northern part of America. -_- i mean, go to Niagara falls, look across the falls- what do you see? a massive city called TORONTO. Canada isn't much different then the US. just a little colder st some places. and YOU Americans have polar bears. in ALASKA. (part of America)

      Delete
  6. i needed similarities but i guess it helped

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am doing a venn diagram for homework and i need some similarities and differences of the us and cannada plz help

      Delete
    2. Lol same here

      Delete
    3. me too. she said that she would put both but kinda didnt

      Delete
    4. I am also doing a venn diagram on the simularities and differences of canda and USA

      Delete
  7. I've always wanted to go to Canada. I'm hoping to go to college up there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. first lesson, Canada has college and university. You likely mean university. Google it! Hey it's only a year later :)

      Delete
  8. I'm an American and I like Canada, been there a couple of times. I won't down another country because I am not from there like some but I will say I am proud to be an American and I like it here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What really pisses me off is that in almost every American T.V show they have to insult Canadians. I mean, what's their problem? Take Victorious for example, since Beck is Canadian people take it as a bad thing! I mean wow, they are sooooo selfish and mean, sure us Canadians must look like beaver loving, polar bear riding idiot to them, at least we don't hurt anyone's feelings! CANADA ROCKS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Umm... I enjoyed your review and appreciate your opinion however you did do one thing wrong. Very few people in Canada say about as aboot that's a Newfie accent. in case you hadn't guessed I am Canadian. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. every country have a good thing and a bad think but what i really think that Canada is more secure than usa , much colder than usa , speaks french and English , best health care in the north America , easier to immigrate to it ( by far it will not that secure after 10 years from now that's due to the easy immigration laws + larger country to live in ) ----- in usa --- less secure , have many weather climate, speaks english and in some parts speaks Spanish , good health care , hard to immigrate to it (thats due to crimes , bombing , and political instability )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I live in Comox, Vancouver man! You are sooo close to me! Anyways, my opinion is that Canada is better because the weather is only bad if you go north and of course, our health care. Also the us is a trillion dollars in debt and rising! Also I don't feel safe from the fact that a lot of people in the us own guns,

    ReplyDelete
  13. One myth that I like is that we pay higher taxes in Canada because of our healthcare. In fact, the cost of providing healthcare to Americans on Medicare and other state sponsored healthcare programs is higher per capita than in Canada. That's right. American's pay more for healthcare than Canadians (and they are not universally covered.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://www.diffen.com/difference/Canada_vs_United_States

    That might help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you still spelt behaviour wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do mean you miss spelled behavior? or, You spelled behavior wrong? Right. Not being negative, just being positive.

      Delete
  16. BAM the Canadian post

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think they are both cool

    ReplyDelete
  18. tail the alike bitch

    ReplyDelete