Sunday, October 2, 2011

To Flame or not to Flame, That is The Question!

Flames 4 - 2 Coyotes


This week, after one and a half year living in Canada, we had the opportunity to watch our first NHL game. A supplier of TVI (the company that Patricia is working for) gave the company two tickets  for a pre-season game, where the Calgary Flames would face the Phoenix Coyotes, in Calgary. And Patricia's boss asked here if she would like to go to the game! Of course! 

When we first publicly mentioned that we would watch the Flames against the Coyotes, the controversies started among us and our friends… They said: how can you guys switch from the Canucks to the Flames in just a blink of an eye!? You bandwagon jumpers, you gypsy horses…

What our angry friends did not understand is that Patricia and I were only picking a second favourite team. Now Patricia has the Flames as her second favourite team and I have the Canucks as my second favourite team!! 

We had some fun answering those “accusations” on Facebook and went to the game! When we dropped off the train and saw the arena, we could only think “wow, what an arena… beautiful”. So, we had our dinner and got into the stadium to watch the game! You can see some pictures here

Patricia and I, then, started to look for our seats and when we finally found those, we got so excited. We would watch the game so close to the ice… About three metres away from the ice! Unbelievable!! The game was perfect: Flames defeated the Coyotes (4-2), we saw former Canucks player Raffi Torres so close, we had so much fun that night… 

So, yes, the Flames are my new favourite team. And it’s not only because of that game, but also because of the way Calgary has welcomed us and because of the way Calgarians have embraced us… I feel like I am here for a long time. Calgary and Calgarians are treating us very well and taking care of us like Nanaimo and Nanaimoites did. 

You know, people say that I cannot cheer on the Canucks and on the Flames at the same time, but I will! I am now a Flames fan, but I still love the Canucks because of all the good moments that Luongo and company,  Nanaimo, and BC provided me! I know that cheering on the Flames and on the Canucks at the same time is like cheering on Brazil and Argentina at the same time, but… I will try!

Thanks for reading! See you!  




2 comments:

  1. Welcome, you will learn quick that Calgarians are the greatest people in the world! Also, we are happy to have you as a Flames fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogs are just too good and lovely to read.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete