Thursday, October 21, 2010

Slowing down!

Kayaking class at Westwood Lake

As soon as we arrived in Nanaimo, we separated a day to go to VIU. Of course that every people we met asked us: which program will you guys take? And when we said “MBA”, everybody said with a grimaced face: “wow, it is a tough program, be prepared”. 

Well, the MBA started and we realized those guys were right… Tons of texts, assignments, tests, team projects and so on. Maybe this is the reason why VIU Campus Rec offers several outdoor and indoor activities to the students: not to allow them to become crazy!

We do not think the program is driving us crazy so far, however, just in case (!!) we thought that some different activities would be excellent to meet people and help us to be in shape! As a traditional Brazilian guy, I registered myself to play indoor soccer every Tuesday. Some minutes later, our Mexican friend Luis invited me to join the MBA All Stars team and play VIU’s Intramurals. Before he finished the invitation…I was already registering myself to the league and, thank God, now I am playing twice a week! My Brazilian friends do not believe me, because this situation is something like playing hockey twice a week in Brazil!

Of course Paty also should do something and she chose something that she was not so familiar: river kayaking! Brave girl… Although the Fall with its falling degrees was coming, she said, “I will”! The first class was taken in a typical British Columbian place: the Westwood Lake. The temperature was about 15 degrees (which for us is cold!), but she took the class and she entered the water. The best part is that she enjoyed that! The other classes were taken at Nanaimo River. The course was done and she learned how to kayak in different situations, had good times, made some new friends and the best part: left behind the stress! See you!

5 comments:

  1. You guys are making the best of what is offered! Bravo! I have always thought that what you receive depends on what you put into something. I know you are putting everything (almost) into your schooling, but it is wonderful to see you both balancing this with being involved in fun sports. There are lots of adult "drop-in" style sports, like badminton, volleyball, floor hockey and basketball in Nanaimo, not just at the university. Have fun trying them all!
    ~Mai Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write up buddy!! You should join me at the gym when u have time, i now go mondays to firdays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I was mentioned!! Best blog entry so far!

    hahaha, see ya on Sunday's game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Hey, Luis, hope to see you in the game today! Maxwell, I will try hard to join you all the days in the gym this week!! And Mai, I totally agree with you and I am thinking on try to play floor hockey, it will be hard for a Brazilian (!!), but it will be funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It´s very good to know that you and Paty are enjoying Nanaimo as much as you are studying...
    And don´t forget: we are watching you, "rapá"!!!
    Jâyme Châgas

    ReplyDelete